Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The good news and the apocalyptic imagination



There is something strong within me that resonates with Hauerwasian ideals, but here I must confess, I don't read Hauerwas very critically. For instance I have read very little Jeffery Stout, or others critical of Hauerwas's project. To be frank it is not really in my limited expertise to interact with such thinkers, and thus I will probably just stay conflicted until I have some time to sort through various issues pertaining to 'ethics'. But one thing I am pretty confident about is that American style consumerism has co-opted the western 'christian' view of what the gospel message was/is all about. But this epiphany, so to speak, has been more crippling than freeing. I feel as if I am in a coma where I can perceive the world around me but am incapable of acting.

My reading of the gospel has undergone some serious challenges and changes since this epiphany; I have been much more cognizant of social inequality, institutional racism, and other general malevolent practices of 'othering', as being central concerns of the gospel, not peripheral. Although I have been a follower of Christ for nearly half my life, I am a recent convert to prophetic Christianity, and while this conversion is welcome, nevertheless, I seem ever the more lost for it. Perhaps it is this state of 'lostness' that perpetuates a life of reliance, I don't know, that may just be wishful thinking.

The point of this post, if there is one, is to ruminate about what the good news ought to look like today, how it ought to be actualized in the life of believers today, and more concretely to start of a series of posts. I hope the posts will center on what it means to have an 'apocalyptic imagination' informed by the good news. But in all reality they will probably look more like an incoherent cacophony of half baked ideas, regardless I hope you will join the conversation.

2 comments:

Alan Bandy said...

I am intrigued by your post and am looking forward to the dialogue. My questions center around how you define apocalypsticism (in what way does the apocalyptic imagination relate to social policy). Subsequently, I am not sure what you mean by prophetic Christianity (the link left me a little fuzzy). Thanks.

metalepsis said...

Alan thanks for being intrigued, there is always the fear that blogging will turn into a monologue. I will try to answer your questions directly in upcoming posts.