Friday, July 29, 2005

Justice

This might be the best story I have, the story of the just man who came to a wicked city. Let's call it Sodom. He came determined to save its inhabitants from sin and punishment. Night and day he walked the streets and markets, protesting against greed and theft, falsehood and indifference. In the beginning, people listened and smiled ironically. Then they stopped listening. He no longer even amused them. The killers went on killings the wise kept silent as if there were no just man in their midst. One day a child, moved by compassion for the unfortunate teacher, approached him with these words:

"Poor stranger, you shout, you scream--don't you see that it is hopeless?"
"Yes, I see," answered the just man.
"Then why do you go on?"
"I'll tell you why. In the beginning, my child, I thought I could change man. Today I know I cannot. But if I still shout today, if I still scream, louder and louder, it is to prevent them from ultimately changing me."

- Elie Wiesel

No comments: